Sunday, November 9, 2008

Forgetting

Today was my first 29th birthday. Yes I really truly am 29 today. We will have to see if I admit to being 30 next year. I have a hard time imagining that I have lived enough life to be 30 years old already.

My mom is turning 50 next week. )As a side note... She was twenty when she had me and her mom, my grandma was 41 when I was born. We are close in age considering we are three generations, but it is wonderful.) We are having a little coffee time at our home on Sunday afternoon with the very immediate family to celebrate. Both sets of my grandparents and my mom's brother and wife along with my sister and her fiance have been invited. I called my dad's parents, my grandparents, earlier this week to let them know that they were invited and that we would love to have them come. I talked to my grandma. She is getting very forgetful. We do not know if it Alzheimer's or dementia, but we are quite certain that is is more than just old age forgetfulness. During our phone conversation she wrote down the date and time for the celebration and we discussed it at three different time during our conversation.

This afternoon we were all napping, except for Nick, when my grandparents show up expecting a celebration for my mom's birthday. We had a nice visit with them, but I was not prepared for visitors. It also just breaks my heart to see my grandma forgetting things like this. Their home/farm of 50 years was destroyed last fall by a late season tornado and this only made the situation worse. She repeats herself and tells the same stories with in a matter of minutes of each other. We just respond in love and try not to remind her that we have already talked about this. I hate to see the end of her life be like this.

All of my grandparents a still living and I know that it will be sooner rather than later that they are called to their heavenly home. It still breaks my heart to see this once active, vibrant, energetic woman begin to lose some of her memory.

They were overjoyed to see the kids for a little bit and hopefully they will return next week Sunday....hopefully.

1 comment:

Carey said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I hope you had a great day! Time goes so fast doesn't it? I'm sure your Grandma would agree with that. Don't hesitate with the 30 thing tho. Some of my best years so far have been in my 30s, and I'm only 1/2 way through! Although in my mind I think I'm hmmmm...at least a few years younger! Now forty...lets not even go there, right?!? LOL

So sorry about your Grandma. Brandy's grandma has alzheimers, and I think it's just the worst thing. I know God uses everything for good, but with my limited perception, it would be so much better if she could just go home to Heaven and not go through this. I'll pray for your Grandma.

Again, Happy Birthday!