Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving was pretty typical for us other than some illness.  Nick ended up in bed all day on Thanksgiving Day with strep.  Not fun and hoping that the rest of us do not get it.  A few of us are battling colds or something of that nature.  I am hopeful that we are sick now and we will all be healthy when it comes to Christmas programs and gatherings.  Hopefully? :)

A lot of the week was spent in preparation for the 3 family gatherings that we had.  I made a lot of my food on Tuesday afternoon and then spent most of Wednesday helping my mom with food and getting her house ready for the 29 guests that were coming on Thanksgiving Day.  The moment that probably stands out to me the most occurred when I was up to my elbows in extra topping for my Apple Crisp on Tuesday afternoon.  I was becoming increasingly frustrated because I had to much topping and not enough room in my pan.  I can't throw away yummy Apple Crisp topping so I had to cut up more apples and make another pan.  After an afternoon on my feet, a toddler at my feet and with nothing ready for supper I was ready to throw in the hat.  Then out of nowhere (well, actually I am sure it was God straightening my attitude) the thought flew into my head that there are mothers all over this world (and probably not very far from me) who would love to have the "excess" problem that I was experiencing.  I was reminded in that moment that the food in my cupboards is more than some will have a year's time.  The fact that I had several options for supper is beyond comprehension for some mothers and families in 3rd world countries.  My attitude changed and I moved on seeing my "problem" as a blessing.  Our (my) "problems" are often blessings that need to be looked at in a different light.

With that in mind here are some photos from a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.  May we all remember that the blessings that we have are gifts that our Father in heaven has given to us for this moment in time.

 Electronics are always a big hit with the little ones!  This just makes me smile!

 Great Grandpa playing Barbies with some of the little girls.


 Yes, Eric is taking care of the tangles in the yarn for his mother. :)

 Micah playing "War" with extended cousins.

Olivia is taking some antibiotics that are pretty rough on the system and we had a little accident which meant that she got to run around with no pants and her light up shoes.  It was pretty funny.

Thanksgiving exhaustion!

No comments: