Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dentist & Dental Floss

We recently visited our friendly dentist office.  Micah and Rebecca love going to the dentist and frequently will ask how long it is until our next visit.  I am thrilled that visiting the dentist is something that they are excited about and it reflects in how they care for their teeth which makes me even happier. :)

Apparently at this last visit the hygienist taught them how to use dental floss and sent them each home with a little container of their own.

Now, up until 6 months ago I was not an avid flosser.  I would do it on occasion, but nothing regular.  Then I got a cavity between my two of my teeth.  (I was specifically told that this cavity came from a lack of flossing.) I had it filled, but had some problems because the bite wasn't correct and my jaw was sore for days.  Since that time I have been flossing very regularly. :)

So, when Rebecca came to me with floss hanging out of her mouth I was pleasantly surprised.  However, when she nicely laid her used dental floss on the bathroom counter I wasn't so pleasant.  I called for her and told her that she need to throw it away.

She broke down sobbing.  She didn't want to throw it away.  The dentist had given it to her and she wanted to keep it.  I was shocked!  It is a little piece of plastic string.  I have 20 more in the drawer.  My mom has a lifetime of floss at her house.  (Can you tell that we are not big flossers?) If by some chance all of that runs out we can always go to the store and get more.

I explained all of this to her and she finally calmed down and threw it away.

Fast forward a few hours and they are both in the bathroom brushing their teeth when a "scuffle" breaks out amid angry whispers.  Rebecca finally calls out "Mom - Micah is not throwing his floss away...."

Really?  So I call back and tell me that he needs to throw his floss away.

He comes out of the bathroom with container of floss in hand and starts sobbing. 

REALLY?!?!  Not only had he not thrown it away, but he had neatly wrapped it back around the floss container for his next use.  As with his sister, I explained that I have 20 more in the drawer, grandma has a lifetime worth of floss at her house and we can always go buy more.

The sobbing ceases, but all I could do was shake my head.  Who knew that dental floss could be such a treasured possession?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Too funny! Thanks for sharing!