Monday, January 4, 2010

Disappointment & Curious George

Several weeks ago a few of our friends mentioned that they had received some information through their employers that there would be a Curious George production at Vets in Des Moines. Nick and both agreed that this would be a perfect outing for the kids. They both love Curious George and it is neither overly girly or boyish (such as Disney Princess or Monster Jam - which we all know only one of children would really enjoy). We bought 4 tickets through one of our friends and decided that the two families would go together.

Secretly I was really excited about this outing. I was excited to see how the kids would respond to this sort of show and we have never really done anything of this nature before. It really wasn't a conscious decision, but we did not tell the kids in advance of the show that we were going. Which it turns out was a good thing.

I always check on the kids before I crawl in bed at night. Friday night was no different. I went to check on the kids and I noticed that Micah was sleeping a little different, like something was wrong. I right away thought "I hope that he is feeling alright. It would be such a bummer if he got sick."

Saturday morning we were sleeping in a little bit and the kids got out of bed first. Micah went to the bathroom, got a drink and came into our bedroom. He stopped by my side of the bed and said "Mommy, my tummy...." and off he ran to the bathroom. He promptly threw up all the water that he had just drank. My heart started to sink a little.

I was still hopeful. Maybe he just drank to much water. Kids do that and that can make their tummy feel funny. My hope didn't last for long. He ate about 18 Cheerios and promptly returned to the bathroom.

It was decided that since we already had the tickets purchased that Becca and I would still go and that Nick would stay home with Micah. Micah was so concerned about where Becca and I were going. (It was soooo good that we hadn't told him!) He was concerned that we were going to Grandpa & Grandma's to play with their new kitty. :)

So.... Becca and I took off for Des Moines. Met our friends at McDonalds for our planned kids friendly lunch and went to see Curious George.

It was a really neat performance! The characters did any excellent job and the dancing and songs left Becca dancing in front of her chair. Here are a few photos of the afternoon.

Becca and I from our seats in the balcony. There really wasn't a bad seat in the house.
Becca with her favorite monkey!

Opening scene.


Opening song. They used the song from the PBS song which was great because it is easily recognized by Curious George lovers!
When the show was over I packed up a tired little girl and made a few Christmas exchanges and then we headed home. By the time that we got home Micah was asking for pizza and was upset that I wouldn't give hime 2 pieces. According to Nick it was about 2:00 in the afternoon (the same time the show was beginning) that he started to feel better. Since he wasn't able to go Becca and I got him a monster truck which seemed to brighten his day.
So glad that he was feeling better, but it would have been nice if he could have gotten sick a day earlier or a day later..... As my sister say, "It is what it is." Maybe we will try again another time....

2 comments:

Carey said...

Oh, I hate it when that happens!!! You're heart just sinks into your stomach and you try to hold onto the hope that...maybe? Glad you and Becca had a good time. Guess this way you got some girl time in!

Maroussia said...

It will be great to watch Curious George, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/Curious_George-tickets looking forward to it.