Sunday, May 2, 2010

Honoring the Fallen

This weekend, Nick and I attend the funeral of the father of one of our dear friends.  I can still hardly imagine that the father one of my friends was suddenly taken away from his family.  He was young (around the same age of my parents) and died of a sudden heart attack while serving his (our) country overseas.  It still just breaks my heart to see our friends dealing with this tragedy. It makes me reflect inwards to my relationship with my parents and how much I appreciate and love them and how infrequently I tell them.

The visitation and funeral also reminded me of how often I take our servicemen for granted.  This individual had served his country for over 30 years, through numerous deployments and countries.  I have always known and appreciated the work that they do, but I have never personally known any servicemen.  In fact, I did not know my friend's father either.  However I do know my friend and after this weekend I feel like I know a little (just a little bit) more about her father and the sacrifices that he and many other have given for me and my family. So often I think that I just glance over them and do not give a thought to what they daily give so that I can enjoy my life here. 

The weekend was a display of honor and respect for a fallen soldier that I will not soon forget.  I also hope that I will not forget the sacrifice of my friend's father and the other soldiers who have gone before, those who are currently serving and those who will serve.

My respect, my honor and appreciation to all soldiers and your families.

No comments: