Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Saving Our Pennies

So I have been trying to save a few dollars (or even pennies) around here these days. There are many ways that we are working on this. Here are just a few of them!

I mentioned in an earlier post that we planted a small garden in my parent's backyard. Between the rain and busy schedules we have had a terrible time keeping the weeds down, but the garden it still producing. Tonight was the first night that we enjoyed some of the produce from that garden.
A single serving of green beans and one little carrot (that I forgot to take a picture of).
Micah was so excited that he helped me clean the beans, but then he wasn't so excited about eating them. (They tasted different than the canned ones from last year.) However he did finish the little carrot in record time and is anxious for the carrots to get bigger so that he has more carrot to eat the next time we pick one!

I have also tried my hand at some new recipes instead of buying items. I made some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and tried my hand at some buns. The muffins turned out great. The buns not so well. (Recipe for the muffins can be found at: http://http//www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/2009/06/baking-day-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-muffins.html

This is my favorite money saving item I have found recently. About 18 months ago Becca got a hold of my glasses and twisted them all up. Not a huge deal because I don't wear my glasses that often, but when I want them I really miss them. Not wanting to spend a ton of money on a pair, I haven't gotten a new pair yet. Recently I found and post on one of the money saving blogs that I follow about a one day deal on a pair of glasses at Costal Contacts. I checked it out and discovered that I could get a pair of glasses for just over $15. I was a little skeptical, but decided that I couldn't go to wrong for $15 so I went ahead and ordered them. Still wondering if the deal was for real. Well... they came in the mail today!Not to bad for $15!
Last but not least here is a picture of the kiddos. This is one of the fun playing together moments and yes this is what Becca's hair looks like at the end of the day. It is just so hard to teach a two-year-old how to keep her hair looking nice! LOL!
Oh, here are some of the blogs that I have been following. Maybe they can help you save a few pennies (or even dollars!)
There are others out there so if you find a good one please let me know! I love a good deal!

No comments: