Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Starting Seeds

With spring sometime on the horizon I am getting anxious to see plants growing in our garden.  Yes, the garden is a lot of work (that I really don't enjoy), but I do enjoy the stash of food that is generates that my family gets to enjoy during the summer and all winter long.

My anxiousness led me to try to start a few plants inside the house.  I have never done this nor do I have a great place for the plants nor do I have the proper equipment.  Since I didn't know if this endeavor was going to be successful I didn't want to invest much $$$ (in fact I didn't want to spend anything).  Due to the wonders of Pinterest I found these newspaper seed pots on a friend's board.  A little bit of time while I was making supper one evening and I had 20 of them made.


 I wanted a greenhouse of some kind, but again didn't want to spend any $$$ on it in case the whole project was a failure.
 Some popsicle sticks and some hot glue and I had the structure to a little house.

 Some saran wrap and I had a little homemade greenhouse.... That is until it got to wet inside and the hot glue let loose... I was very disappointed, but reminded myself that I hadn't spent any $$$ on it for this very reason.

So I had to figure out what other glue I had on hand that would work.  I recently received a freebie in the mail from Elmer's glue and it promised to hold wood together so I gave it a try.
 I didn't harden as quickly so this "model" took a little longer and isn't as "square at the first one, but it is serving its purpose.

The weather has been far from ideal, no sunshine, cold and windy, so my little contraption has only made it outdoors once.  So imagine my surprise when one day I discovered that every single one of my tomato plants had spouted!  YAYAY!
 I love looking at the little plants and knowing that life is springing anew!

The jalapenos are also just sprouting.  Just waiting on the pepper plants.

I am not counting this project a success yet, but I am thrilled with the progress thus far.  The plants need to survive until they can be planted in the garden.  Hopefully pictures will be coming later this summer of tomatoes from these little plants!


Oh and someone else enjoys looking at them as well.   Here she is showing her baby the little tiny plants. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So exciting! I just started some seeds today. Nothing really important...just some fun ones for the kids (giant pumpkins and Strawberry Popcorn). They love to watch them grow! I too am anxious to outside in my real garden...if only it'd warm up;)

Theresa said...

Awesome job Michelle! :~) Nothing like growing your own food!

*And Miss jdtractr...Strawberry Popcorn?