Friday, May 15, 2009

Those Other Kids

As Micah continues to learn new things he has learned that he can get by sometimes with out telling the whole truth or, as I like to call it, lying. We had an instance of this on Wednesday morning.

I was trying to get the kids ready to get out the door. I brought the spray bottle, comb and hairties to the living room so that I could wet down Becca's hair and pull it back. Like most mornings, I brought the stuff to the living room and noticed the Becca had dirty pants. So I leave the stuff on the couch and go the bedroom to clean her up. Get her cleaned up and let her go back to the living room. Of course I get distracted and it takes me a few minutes before I get back to the previous task of doing Becca's hair.

When I get to the living room I notice a big wet spot on the couch and on the pillow we keep on the couch. I had a suspect in mind, but I asked the question anyway:

"Who sprayed the couch?"

Micah immediately responded "Not me!" (When they respond that quickly it usually means, ME!)

"Micah, did you spray the couch?"

"No."

"Micah, tell me the truth, did you spray the couch?"

Without looking at me "No".

"Well, how come the couch is wet then?"

"It was those other kids." (The only other "kid" in the house was Becca.)

Trying to keep the smile off my face, "Which other kids?"

"Those kids that lived here before we did. They sprayed the couch." (For those who do not know... we have lived in this house for nearly 3 years and a bachelor lived here before we did.)

"Micah, there are no other kids here. Did you spray the couch?"

"Yes, I did."

"Go sit in time out."

Tears.....

After time out we had our little discussion that he was in time out because he lied and not because he had sprayed the couch. Yes the water on the couch was naughty, but not time out worthy...

Wonder where he came up with the idea of the other kids?

No comments: