Sunday, May 22, 2011

A piece of my childhood

Olivia has been getting into everything!!!  She crawls everywhere in the house and pulls herself up on almost everything.  Nothing is safe any more.   (I had hoped that she would be stationary for a little while longer, but she is preparing to walk before she is 10 months old.)  With that in mind I knew that I was going to have to do something about Micah & Rebecca's toys.  Princess shoes and Kinex are not ideal toys for an infant who puts everything in her mouth.  I didn't feel that it was right to make the older two keep all of their toys in the basement all the time and I didn't want to drop a load of cash on a baby proof toy organization system.  So, what did I do?  Raided my parent's basement for a piece of my childhood!

My great-grandpa made us a toy box or a deacon's bench (not sure why it is called that) when I was a child.  It has been buried in my parent's basement with treasures from my brother's childhood stored inside.  My mom had offered it to us at some point and I finally decided to take her up on her offer. 

It is neat to have a piece of my childhood sitting in our living room and see my children enjoying it!  Of course we had to take some photos before we filled it up with Micah & Rebecca's toys and books.






 Olivia in front of the bookshelf that once contained her brother & sister's toys & books, but now hold her stuff!

The deacon's bench with Micah & Rebecca's stuff in it.  How long do you think it will stay this neat? :)

2 comments:

Carey said...

Oh man, this post brings back the memories! My girls Barbies loved to go barefoot (as in, I threw away Barbies shoes!). It was my strategy for little Tye not to stick them in his mouth. Thankfully, my girls bought it. =)

Crystal said...

That is a wonderful box. My oldest daughter walked at 10 months. They just don't want to stay babies. :(